Monday, March 12, 2007



About 6 years ago my daughter and I learned how to make these little dolls that I called "wild prairie people." I imagined that they lived out here in the West Texas grass lands, mesquite brush, and in the sandy oak shinnery. My spell check does not recognize the word “shinnery” but that is what my daddy always called them. So I looked up this "tree" in my book: TEXAS TREES by Cox and Leslie. The official name is Harvard Shin Oak, Quercus havardii, and it forms “one of the shortest but most extensive oak forests in North America.” These trees live in areas of deep sand in the panhandle and High Plains of Texas extending into several neighboring states. They seldom grow over 3 feet tall but this is huge to people only 2 to 3 inches tall!

1 comment:

SeamRippstress said...

Beautiful post and little Texas "wild prairie people"! The shinnery and land you describe sounds like a different country from where I am in Houston. How blessed you are to live there!