Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Whew! I cooked out for my kids for the Fourth, today. I doubt I've cooked out except on camping trips in 3- 4 years.

First, I put off going to the grocery store till the last minute. It was packed! But we really needed Dr. Pepper. Never mind the hamburger buns, grill, and charcoal the main thing, to my boys, is their D.P! We grilled little pieces of beef wrapped in bacon, sweet onions from grandparents' garden, red "green peppers," fresh pinapple chunks, and huge 'shrooms. Also, burgers with Grandma's bbq sauce, and a marinated salad. The icecream sundaes will have to wait. Its a good thing I ate when I did... I'm not hungry now.

It is just possible that I may not, at this moment, have anything to say.

Creativity can take some surprising turns. I sometimes have an attack of ideas when I have too many other responcibilities or at the end of the day when I'm worn out and need sleep. If possible I write in one of my journals. One such journal is just for book related ideas: books I want to write, books I want to construct, book classes to teach, sketches of ideas. Then if I have a bit of time and need an idea or reminder I check that journal.

I've been making ACEOs and listing them on ebay. What fun! It is a kind of creative excersize. ACEOs are 3.5x2.5 inches small. I have always enjoyed working small but this is ridiculous or wonderful! How to communicate an idea or personal vision of beauty in a small formate is a challenge at times. The fact that people buy them, or not, is like having my work juried or validated. Of course, I believe art can have value and never sell; it has been important to me all these years. But at this moment in my life, I turned 50 this year, I desire an audience. And an occasional sale would help too!


No comments: