Wednesday, December 26, 2007

BOOKS I AM READING DURING THIS CHRISTMAS BREAK


I am joyously rereading some old favorite books from my childhood and young adulthood.


I finished HITTY, HER FIRST HUNDRED YEARS by Rachel Fields, just last week. I am planing to buy a sturdy edition for my grammar school library and may even make a Hitty doll. (I am on a doll craze at the moment!)





I am presently reading CHRISTY by Catherine Marshall. I have read it 2 or 3 times over the years but not in the past 15 or so. It is a joy to read with much to think about. I love the way Christy, the main character struggles to grow up and learns how to understand and explain her faith, how it becomes personal and not merely a cultural acceptance of Christianity. I have never seen the movie version and don't know if I want to because the vivid images in my mind from the book.

8 comments:

gunnelsvensson said...

I hope you have a wonderful time during the holidays! Thank you for your kind comment on my blog! Yes, they are sweet my grandchildren, and very active!!!
Tomorrow and the next day I will be babysitter, because my daughter and her family move to a new house! And then they have to clean the old home.......so grandmother have to help with the children, and I have no time to stitch at all, at the moment! But it´s creative to play with children too :-))

Jeanette Nord said...

Rereading books can be alot of fun. Especially childhood ones as an adult. Memories suddenly appear and an opportunity to experience new sides of the book. The doll sounds like fun. Can`t wait to see it!

Hugs
Jeanette

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite books. Very inspirational. Gave my last copy to my mom and never got it back!

Unknown said...

I love getting cozy and reading old books from my childhood. I think it helps stir up creative inspiration and remind us of the little girl we still are...Christy is still such a favorite and to think that while Catherine Marshall was alive she thought that book was a failure. It was just ahead of it's time. I love her work, especially Something More. Hope you have a lovely New Year's Eve. Blessings, Karen

Emma said...

Hi!
I saw you're blog and i tought that it was very nice.
Emma

Jeanette Nord said...

Dear Molly!
Now I have my darling daughter Emma reading your blog too ( as I could see by the comments..) I wish you a wonderful New years Eve and I hope that 2008 will be filled with joy, laughter, love and happiness for you!

Lots of LOve to you my friend
Jeanette

Beach Girl said...

I love Hitty! That was one of my favorites as well. I still have it, maybe that would be a good read while I'm in the midst of packing up the other 2,999 books for this move. :-)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Vanessa

Lisa W. said...

Hi Molly,
I have never heard of Hitty but I am going to look for it now. I love Christy! I read the book when I was in high school and still have it. I also have the first season TV series, to bad they did not continue it when the TV company changed hands. I also have the 3 new Christy Dvds. I liked the actors in the TV series much better but at least they gave all of us Christy fans closer with the 3rd DVD. I also own and have read Julie by Catherin Marshal, I liked it also. I am on to look for Hitty. :-)