Wednesday, February 21, 2007






















Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain

I am taking a mid-winter-mini-vacation this minute and reliving some past sketchbook moments! I do not regreted the drawings I made 6-8 years ago. They keep those memories fresh. At the time they were relief from the constant tasks of mothering small children. I did not have time for perfect , large finished paintings but a few moments to sketch where ever we were may have saved my sanity!


I have been surfing blogs and websites, gleaning inspiration and ideas. I am now working 2+ jobs and my creative time is very limited! That is, my official creative art time is limited. I have creatively stumbled onto a way that seems to help an eight year-old dyslexic child with behavior and attitude problems. He requested a 3 minute break to draw on the board. I started drawing too. Then we made up a story to go with the picture. We added a few words. Then when we went back to the table to work on our lesson I would point out words that could add ideas to the story. He loved it and tried harder and went away happy!

I am getting creative with my troublesome 6th graders also: the ones who have lost incentive to study their Latin vocabulary, maybe they don't care much about their grades or they have lost the hope that they can pass. If they fail a quiz they have to stay at lunch time (about 5 minutes a day) and take the quiz over until they pass. Now these kids do care about their lunch! And even 5 minutes lost is painful!

No comments: